Thursday, January 14, 2016

The fourteenth

I've taken an important decision:
We're going to be friends,
this lifetime and I.

I promise you patience.

I promise I'll get old
one year at a time.

I promise I'll wait
for you.

Today's been dragging.
Today is the fourteenth day
into my vacations
and I've had a lot of work,
but I'm saving tears for a
rainy day.

Been thinking about my first house and
how much I'd like you to
have a key.

On days like these
to open the door
and scream your name
to know you there

to breathe my dreams upon your chest,
the sureness of being safe.

2 comments:

  1. The beautiful thoughts unfold with perfect poise. Such a lovely poem for a new year, with promises made to oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant conceit - already, the month skirts us, and before we know, we're at a distance... ~

    ReplyDelete