Sunday, January 24, 2016

Soul and forward

We love who we can love, and the rest stay ghosts. 
- Marty McConnell

I think it's time to fix things.

There's a lot to be done around the world,
a lot to mend in nature and people,
especially in people I guess.

I thought we were all meant to
live cordially together -
men and wolves -
but when we meet,
given the grandeur in one another's eyes,
we don't know how to go about
the enchantment.

We break things, bones, hearts.
Later to ache humanly.

I followed your trail
into the forest
and learned you first
from the top of a tree
because you wouldn't
trust me near.

I think I wasn't ready
to love a creature
as callous and detached as you are,
but I did.

The years run through us,
I doubt I'll ever be able to race you.
But I see you slow down the pace
and walk by my side at times
and I'm honestly grateful.

You keep disappearing among the trees
whenever I try to touch you.
you would expect me to cry
but this time I promise not to.

Every so often 
you push me away
but when I am allowed close,
I think to myself that it's the
fathomless, perfect
quietude of your soul
what draws me to you.

I think I wasn't ready
to love a creature
as beautiful and free as you are.
But I did.
I do.


Image by Chiara Bautista




4 comments:

  1. perfect quietude of your
    soul what draws me to you

    Often it had been said it is nothing physical. Relationships can withstand itself through the strength of the inner self. And also the belief that beauty is skin-deep! Great lines Kenia!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a deep and authentic vow of love - these do not come lightly in this world of wolves and men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the atmosphere is so timeless: the ache of blue, of hope, of the real world where Red Riding Hood is searching for the wolf and not her grandmother. Or perhaps, she is the wolf... ~

    ReplyDelete