Thursday, April 4, 2019

Remedios Varo

Character, Remedios Varo

Picture this:
what if every woman burned as a witch
was reborn as a wolf,
every woman imprisoned in a memory of violation
was transmuted into an eagle,
 every woman once told she wasn't good or pretty enough
was converted into a firefly,
every woman cut in a half
grew into two strong, fearless women
and they danced and laughed
in misty forests around bonfires,
wolves, eagles, fireflies, women
until it became impossible to tell them apart?


(NaPoWriMo day 4, inspired by The Imaginary Garden with Real Toads and the PAD Challenge)  


(Remedios Varo was one of the few acknowledged female surrealist painters of the first half of the 20th century. She was interested in all things magical and was an avid believer in the inter-relatedness of all things and people. She used art to to revolt against Catholic practices and to express her feminist beliefs.)

10 comments:

  1. An amazing thought. the "what if.." But actually, I already think they do change into these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the art of Remedios Varo but I love your poem more. Such an affirmation of the collective struggle of women in a vindictive world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! MY! GOODNESS! I adore this poem - every woman burned as a witch reborn as a wolf. I hope I come back as a wolf. A violated woman becoming an eagle, a "not pretty enough" woman turned into a firefly. This is absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so damn crazy about this poem. I know just the girl who needs to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an inspirational poem and an inspirational woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea! I want to take this exciting poem and declaim it at coven gatherings around bonfires! Or perhaps paste copies on the walls of girls' schools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned, Kenia. A nice write, I wish along with your writer.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was cool. I'm not usually into poetry so much, but I'll be back for sure. Visiting from AtoZ. (I'm doing a new story every day. Drop in and suggest something!)

    Doesn't Speak Klingon

    ReplyDelete
  9. What if... life was fair. This poem breaks my heart - So much pain and anger in this world.

    ReplyDelete