Monday, October 19, 2015

Heretofore and hereafter

I had a dream I dyed my hair in intergalactic hues
and when I woke up I laughed at myself
thinking about how it would never happen.

I owe you an apology.

I did not see you in the small things.

Yesterday was the hottest day in the city in the last 105 years,
I escaped to the mountains and the sky was so clear
I should have remembered to look for you.

Forgetfulness discredits my promises.

I am in love with a young man who
does not know how to be loved
and I can't teach him.

I tell him he matters and that I won't give him up,
and I choose to love him every new day all over again,
no matter how difficult he makes it sometimes.

I owe you an apology.

I did not see you in the small things.



"If you loved someone, you loved him, and when you had nothing else to give, you still gave him love."
― George Orwell, 1984

2 comments:

  1. There are many things that touch me in this poem, Kenia. I always love your titles, which are integral to meaning, and the way the speaker holds a conversation to one who may not be listening. I find the Orwell quote to be most profound, but you have equally expressed the pain of unrequited love, have shown what it is to be true to your word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound thoughts, strongly touch me.

    ReplyDelete